Saturday, 16 September 2017
We've had a lot of lovely rain lately, which translates into LOTS of spring growth! The bees are loving my garden at the moment & I am happy to help them out...they need as much help as they can get!!
My lavender speckles the green foliage with it's purple heads...so beautiful...and a worthy muse for this week's art project.
I knew I wanted to play with the linear cutback work I've been developing, but still needed this all important part of the process to help get me on my way. The green striped background came together well, but I wasn't sure where to go with my lavender stems!! Tempted as I was to do them as straight vertical lines, I chose to stick with their various curves, which made a more interesting combination of lines.
Aside from realising that I got a couple of the purples the wrong way around, I am relatively pleased with it as a sample piece. Were I to try it again, I think I would like a less contrasting stem colour & I'd carefully place the purples on top of the stem colour, so that they become the more dominant feature. I certainly see potential for an interesting piece here & am a teensy bit frustrated that I can't drop everything I'm working on at the moment to explore this further! Such is life! At least I have a starting point for future work!
Even though this has been a very quick WAP, it has still been valuable as a learning tool. This piece is #46 of my 52 week project, & I am starting to think about what next after this. The discipline has been so worthwhile that I'd like to keep it up. Hmmmm, I shall continue to ruminate on the subject & will keep you posted!!
Sunday, 3 September 2017
I have one in my garden too!
He was my muse for the weekly art project this past week!
I used pencil to draw the various componants of the photo above. I wasnt too fussed about accuracy, I merely wanted to feel the shapes and observe what went where. This is one of the values of drawing!
It is a reminder of what my Green Man's dreadlocks looked like...in healthier days!!
Wednesday, 23 August 2017
I am working on some new art pieces for a small exhibition in February &...you guessed it...my new work is inspired by bark!
It seemed logical then, to use bark as my theme for this weeks art project.
I was very pleased with this outcome & love the flowing lines & colour combo. Not a bad result when I started this today, completely lacking in motivation & desperately wanting to get on with my other work!
I think this marks week 42, which means I have another 10 weeks to go to make it to 52 weekly art projects. That's my goal anyway. That means 10 more inspirations to be found in my garden....no problem!! :-)
Monday, 14 August 2017
The local bees are having a festival of feasting!!
Sometimes when in a place of stuckedness, the only thing to do is move forward anyway & hope that something will budge! Out came the pencils & water brushes.
A blank white piece of paper could be transformed with water & colour .
I asked myself the question... what would happen if I tried this with white fabric instead of paper?
Oh...but then the decision...do I paint the background as well, to cover up the colour bleeding, or do I leave it in this gentle subtle state?
It could easily be a hibiscus for a Hawaiin shirt couldn't it?
Whilst the colour match is not perfect with one of the flowers on my agave bud, that was the all important starting point in a process, THIS is the result.
It has been a very enjoyable play today & I am happy with the outcome. I am particularly pleased with how the patterning on the different 'white' fabrics, show in relief to the colour I have applied to each layer of this piece. Whilst a strong part of me was inclined to leave it as all white, ( because I liked it like that!), and then another part of me was inclined to leave it at the painted flower point, (because I liked it like that too!), I'm glad I experimented with it to this end.
I see all sorts of possibilities for work in the future using contemporary reverse applique in this way....never a dull moment with this technique!! :-)
Tuesday, 8 August 2017
One of the delights of living where I live, is that in the big old trees gathered in my front yard, many birds like to visit. There is nothing quite like starting the day with birdsong & the caroling of magpies is one of my favourites.
HOWEVER, at the moment, they are in their mating season & establishing both relationships & territory. This means that magpies can be heard at any time of day or night! With a body clock attuned to the sound of magpies signalling it as time to get up....their current tendency to chortle away in the earlier hours of the morning is really discombobulating my sleep pattern. Consequently, I am...a magpie affected zombie!
There's nothing else to do, but make magpies the subject of my weekly art project!
Although this type of design is more like what I'd do as a sample piece in preliminary work for a bigger project, I am still quite pleased with the outcome. With a brain considerably vaguer than usual, multiple interruptions & many distractions, I was just pleased to get SOMETHING done at all!!
Monday, 31 July 2017
This was the photo that I knew I wanted to work from, but before heading to the studio to begin exploring design options, I went back outside...
... to photograph the strappy leaves & budded stems that are still insitu. With these sources then printed off, it was time to get to work.
NOW it was time to cut back & this is how it went...
I am quite pleased with the results.
Were I to do it again, I would probably forget about the length of the leaves & just repeat the 'twist' section to form a patterned background. As for the daffodil flower, I like the irregularities that drawing something freehand produces & I'm pleased with the addition of the button & beads to the centre.
All in all, a fun little exercise to hail the arrival of Spring!